Match days at Thomond Park will be even better for Munster fans this season after the facilities at the Limerick venue were upgraded over the summer.
The improvements inside and outside the stadium are designed to provide expanded food & beverage facilities, additional pre-match entertainment and improved access routes for customers attending on match-days. See a full list of upgrades and new additions below.
Fan Zone Plaza
The external area located outside the east stand has been transformed with assistance from Limerick City Council to provide an expansive plaza type facility that will allow patrons to gather and meet before matches. The plaza will include a variety of artisan type food operators with music/entertainment managed in a secure and enjoyable environment.
Bank of Ireland Family Fun Zone
Working with Davis Events we have introduced a dedicated and secure area for families to gather at the north terrace end of the stadium. From here parents and children can enjoy their own pre-match build up with a number of free activities available, face painters, balloon artists and competition giveaways.
Kids can test their rugby passing on CJ's chest or practice their rugby dives in the the bouncy castles.
The Guinness Dug Out Bar
Thomond Park and our partners Diageo have completed a significant investment to upgrade the Dug Out Bar located externally in the new Fan Zone Plaza. The internal décor has been completely revamped and an upgraded and expanded audio visual experience has been introduced. There is also a new external covered al fresco type facility outside the bar to enable bar patrons to enjoy the fan zone experience.
The newly refurbished Guinness Dug Out Bar
Munster Museum Experience
The existing museum is being upgraded and relocated with assistance from Fáilte Ireland to deliver an enhanced international standard visitor experience on a daily basis. The new museum is being relocated externally beside the Guinness Dug Out Bar in the new Fan Zone Plaza providing a fascinating insight into the history and heritage of Munster Rugby including interactive content to be enjoyed by both young and old. The Museum can be enjoyed before and after matches and is also available on a daily basis as part of our Stadium Tour Experience.
Food & Beverage
Our catering partners Masterchefs have completed a significant investment to upgrade and expand the food & beverage facilities throughout the stadium. Patrons can now enjoy the Artisan Grill (Fish & Chips, Burgers & Sausages etc) Proppa Posh (Pizzas & Panini's) Café Noir (Speciality Coffees, Soups etc) located in both stands. Also a selection of additional kiosks called The Ruck and The Maul have been introduced throughout offering refreshments and value for money food deals.
Thomond Park Public Bars
Thomond Park Stadium is now responsible for the direct management and operation of all the public bars throughout the stadium. We feel that this will allow us to deliver a dedicated service to our customers with our core objective to become the best in the business in this area. The Public Bars include all concourse and terrace bars, The Guinness Dug Out Bar and the MRSC Bar.
• The works were carried out between March 2007 to September 2008 by PJ Hegarty & Sons.
• The two stands are constructed using precast concrete frame and floors. Stiffness is provided using in-situ shear walls.
• The 135m long roof is supported onto the overhead Arch which is anchored at either end with the concrete pedestals. The rear of the roof is carried onto the back of the stands.
• Both stands were constructed without access onto the playing surface.
• The top of the Arch is approximately 40m above pitch level. This is similar to a 14 storey building.
• 840 tonnes of steelwork was used. All the steelwork placed end to end would stretch for 10 miles.
• 135 tonnes of steelwork are used in the construction of each arch.
• The back row of seats are 27m above the pitch.
• 20,000 m3 of concrete was used in the construction of the stands.
• 10,000 m2 (1 hectare) of cladding was used in the roofs and elevation.
• There is nearly 2km of handrails used in staircases and guardrails.