11 Dec, 14:35
This week's club notes come from Carrick-on-Suir, Midleton and Shannon rugby clubs.
(1) Player props up against goal post/scrummaging machine
(2) Place 4 yellow markers (2ft x 1ft rectangle) where the LH prop's shoulders would be
(3) Place 2 red markers where channel 1 would be ie. between Flanker & LHS 2nd row
(4) Place 2 white markers where LHS 2nd rows feet would be ie. channel 2
(5) Place 2 blue markers where RHS Locks feet would be ie. channel 3
(6) A ball is placed in the rectangle & the Hooker must strike the ball through the designated channel (10 balls; 4 to Ch. 1; 3 to Ch. 3) assess correct /good strikes out of each channel.
• Good flexibility
• Sweep with back of heel rather than jab
• Balls are fed into the rectangle on the Hookers signal - count successful strikes.
Minimum of 1 or 2 players.
NB: Use 3rd party as a LHP if available.
2 rucking pads tied by 4 foot rope slung over cross bar. 10 balls, markers set distances from cross bar i.e. 5m, 6m, 7m, 8m, 9m, 10m, 14m.
Player throws a ball from each marker making a note on each successful / unsuccessful throw. (Successful = hitting rucking pad)
• Fingers spread
• Ball brought behind head
• Proper lead foot step forward
• Follow through
• Stack 3 balls on 3 specific distances & measure success
• Vary types of throws (quick, lobbed etc)
Minimum of 1 player.
Jumper intercepts balls before they hit the bag. (Catch & tap)
Use 3rd party as a LHP if available.
A rope is tied between the 2 uprights at 10% less than v-jump score. Player practices jumping up straight, moving forwards or backwards, clapping the rope at the height of the jump.
• Jumper can use decoy movements
• Jumper can be supported in the jump
• Jumper works 1 v 1
• Jumper & support work against a jumper (or 3 v3)
Aim to clap hands on rope before opponent touches rope. Tie tape / marker to rope indicating straight, front & backward targets.
Minimum of 1 - 2 players.
10 balls (5 either side of a marker). 2nd marker 3m out from 1st marker. Receiver 5m out from 2nd marker. Player passes 1st ball, runs out to 2nd marker, back around the 1st marker & passes first ball, runs out to 2nd marker, back around the 1st marker & passes 1st ball from other pile (repeat). Balls placed 1m apart.
• Proper approach from the far side
• Bend knees, narrow base, sight target, sweep ball away, follow through after pass
• Move catcher further away
• Use more balls
• Time how long it takes & measure accuracy
Minimum of 2 players.
Place 2 tackle bags or rucking shields approx. 1 to 3 meters from the goalpost as shown. Tackler starts off in a driving (scrummaging) position on the goal post. On a signal (1 or 2) he detaches and tackles the appropriate tackle bag.
• Low body postion
• Short, quick, driving steps
• Shoulder contact, correct head placement
• Arms gripping tight
• Leg drive
• Increase targets to 3 bags
• Give more than one call i.e. "one-two" - for reaction
1 tackler & 2 players holding tackle bags ie. 3