19 Jun, 14:10
Munster Rugby recently held a 'Play Rugby' workshop for sixth class pupils and teachers at Murroe National School, County Limerick.
On a signal SH passes to OH who distributes to target i.e. post, coach, player holding rucking shield etc. OH then realigns and gives signal for next pass (run backwards).
• Hands out towards incoming ball - take it early
• Target preferably waist high
• "Soft" hands, fingers spread
• Keep ball on the inside until ready to pass
• Sight target, sweep pass across body - maintain line of run for 1m after passing ball
• Move target further away 2m - 3m - 4m - 5m until a slip pass is attained (8m - 10m).
• Move further from SH. 6m - 8m - 10m - 12m
SH, OH + (post or coach / player)
10 balls passed, count number which hit target and how mush time it took. Standardise SH pass to 6m, but vary OH's pass depending on assessment (5m-8m).
Player 'A' working, players X & Y feeding balls. X & Y stand facing the same direction & slightly staggered (preferably facing each other).
Player 'A' receives ball from X & passes to Y, then he runs around the back of Y to receive the ball facing Y, which he passes to X (repeat - 1 min drill).
• Narrow base (quick feet), 'skip in' if possible
• Wrist pass, momentum and follow pass
• "Trap" a moving ball with "lead" hand
• 'X' & 'Y' deliver ball in the hands & on the ground
• Increase distance 8m to 10m to 12m to 14m
• Awkward delivery of ball
Minimum of 3 players
Player "A" receives lobbed ball from "B" & returns it with a spin pass, simultaneously "B" tosses 2nd ball while "A" catches 1st ball & repeat. [Can also be done with 2 players serving the balls to "A" i.e. B, D, E, with A passing back to the source]. (Work for 1 min).
• Quick feet "Skipping" into position
• Wrist flick
• Peripheral vision
Reduce time for pass by lobbing the ball back at a lower trajectory. Increase distance of pass from 6m to 8m to 10m to 12m. Introduce 3rd ball or feeder!
Minimum of 2 players / 3 markers.
10 balls (5 either side of a marker). 2nd marker 3m out from 1st marker. Receiver 5m out from 2nd marker. Player passes 1st ball, runs out to 2nd marker, back around the 1st marker & passes first ball, runs out to 2nd marker, back around the 1st marker & passes 1st ball from other pile (repeat). Balls placed 1m apart.
• Proper approach from the far side
• Bend knees, narrow base, sight target, sweep ball away, follow through after pass
• Move catcher further away
• Use more balls
• Time how long it takes & measure accuracy
Minimum of 2 players.
Receiver holds a rucking pad, every pass which hits the target area is successful (or a tackle bag leaning against a goal post).