7 Dec, 18:36
Heavy defeat for Dolphin in Ulster Bank League Division 1A as Cork Constitution and Young Munster win but Garryowen are still searching for their first win of the campaign.
Leonard Allen & Cormac Liddy
Player X kicks to receivers A, B & C, while players Y & Z chase the kick followed by X. Players A, B & C counter attack, first beating players Y & Z and finally X. Rotate attackers and defenders and repeat.
• Early decision and communication that counter attack is possible
• Feint at opposition strength (of numbers), while attacking weakness (space)
• Support must have adequate depth, width and timing
Minimum of 6 players.
- Attacking players (SH, OH, C1, C2, & BSW)
- Defending players 3 (Flanker, OH, C1)
When ball is passed defenders try to cover attackers by man on or drift/slide defense. Outhalf must read development with support of centres & BSW (alternate direction of attack).
• Proper alignment (for skill level and conditions)
• Straight running and proper lines of support
• Sympathetic passing
• Clear communication
• Correct decision making
• Side step inside when attacking
Defence - Man-on: use overlap or free player if:
• Early drift before OH passes: use BSW inside or outside
• Late drift : attack space
BSW trails OH & C1.
Minimum of 8 players
4 players aligned as a backline (each has a number) 1st player i.e. ball carrier no. 1 etc. Ball carrier, when he reaches a marker must pass the ball to the number called out / indicated by the coach. Coach stands approx. middle of the grid. Ball is passed onto last man who re-aligns to repeat drill in the other direction.
• Keep ball carried on the inside
• Run straight, change of pace when receiving a pass
• Have a SH pass the ball to the 1st player.
• Overload by coach calling/indicating later ie. when ball carrier nearly reaches marker (7m)
• Receivers call their own numbers, last number called before ball carrier reaches cone in the target!
Minimum of 4 players; ideally 5 & a coach.
• Another marker can be placed at 5m for a signal, pass to be made by 7m. Count successful executions out of 10 attempts.