19 Jun, 14:10
Munster Rugby recently held a 'Play Rugby' workshop for sixth class pupils and teachers at Murroe National School, County Limerick.
Player X kicks to receivers A, B & C, while players Y & Z chase the kick followed by X. Players A, B & C counter attack, first beating players Y & Z and finally X. Rotate attackers and defenders and repeat.
• Early decision and communication that counter attack is possible
• Feint at opposition strength (of numbers), while attacking weakness (space)
• Support must have adequate depth, width and timing
Minimum of 6 players.
- Attacking players (SH, OH, C1, C2, & BSW)
- Defending players 3 (Flanker, OH, C1)
When ball is passed defenders try to cover attackers by man on or drift/slide defense. Outhalf must read development with support of centres & BSW (alternate direction of attack).
• Proper alignment (for skill level and conditions)
• Straight running and proper lines of support
• Sympathetic passing
• Clear communication
• Correct decision making
• Side step inside when attacking
Defence - Man-on: use overlap or free player if:
• Early drift before OH passes: use BSW inside or outside
• Late drift : attack space
BSW trails OH & C1.
Minimum of 8 players
4 players aligned as a backline (each has a number) 1st player i.e. ball carrier no. 1 etc. Ball carrier, when he reaches a marker must pass the ball to the number called out / indicated by the coach. Coach stands approx. middle of the grid. Ball is passed onto last man who re-aligns to repeat drill in the other direction.
• Keep ball carried on the inside
• Run straight, change of pace when receiving a pass
• Have a SH pass the ball to the 1st player.
• Overload by coach calling/indicating later ie. when ball carrier nearly reaches marker (7m)
• Receivers call their own numbers, last number called before ball carrier reaches cone in the target!
Minimum of 4 players; ideally 5 & a coach.
• Another marker can be placed at 5m for a signal, pass to be made by 7m. Count successful executions out of 10 attempts.